Lubbock’s First Dog Park Will Open Friday
The first of two City of Lubbock dog parks will open this Friday.
The Canyon Run Dog Park in Mackenzie Park will hold a ribbon cutting ceremony this Friday, April 20 at 10 a.m. The City of Lubbock, along with the Lubbock Chamber of Commerce and the Parks and Recreation Department, will host the ceremony and officially open the park.
The Canyon Run Dog Park will feature two different areas for dogs. Dogs over 30 lbs will be able to use the "large" dog area that is over 2.6 acres in size. Smaller dogs will have over one acre of land to run around in. The entrances will feature double gates, and both the large and small dog areas will have trees, benches, dog-friendly water fountains, and restrooms.
The Canyon Run Dog Park will be open daily from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Here are the rules for the park according to the City of Lubbock.
Dog Park Rules
- Use park at your own risk.
- Owners are legally responsible for the actions and behavior of their dog(s) at all times.
- Dogs must be leashed while entering and exiting the dog park.
- Dog waste must be cleaned up by their owners IMMEDIATELY.
- Owners must be within the dog park and supervising their dog(s) with leash readily available.
- Dog handlers must be at least 16 years of age.
- Children under 13 must be accompanied by an adult and supervised at all times.
- Dogs should be under voice control.Excessive barking is not allowed.
- All dogs must wear a collar with a current rabies tag and identification.
- Owners should fill any holes their dog(s) digs.Prohibited:
- Human and dog food and treats
- Glass containers
- Dogs in heat
- Sick dogs
- Aggressive dogs
- Puppies under 4 months
Lubbock's second dog park, Hub City Unleashed, is located in Clapp Park and should be open in a few weeks. You can find out more information on Lubbock Parks by following the Parks and Rec Facebook Page.