With All This Severe Weather, Watch Out for Roofing Scams, Lubbock
With Lubbock and the South Plains recently being affected by severe weather, the Better Business Bureau is reminding residents to take precautions when hiring a roofing contractor to fix hail damage.
In a news release, the BBB gave the following tips for homeowners with roof damage following storms like the one Lubbock experienced Monday, May 17th:
- Check with your insurance company about policy coverage and specific filing requirements. Save all receipts if temporary roofing repairs are necessary.
- Don't be pressured into making an immediate decision with a long-term impact
- Take time to shop around and get 3-4 estimates based on the same specifications and materials.
- Be weary of door-to-door workers claiming to have left-over materials from a job nearby or who don't have a permanent place of business.
- Be leery of workers coming to your door saying that your home is unsafe.
- Require a written contract with anyone you hire.
The BBB says that if you look for multiple estimates and one seems substantially lower than the others, it's probably too good to be true. These contractors are often uninsured and use substandard materials. Some contracts also have a clause requiring large cancellation fees or liquidation damages if you decide not to use the contractor after insurance approval of the claim.
Questions or complaints about specific companies can be directed to the BBB at 806-763-0459, at email@example.com or at BBB.org.
Tornado and Wall Cloud Pictures From Monday, May 17th, 2021
18 Interesting NFL Games That Lubbock Will Be Begging Watch