Opinion: Governor Greg Abbott Thinks You Are Stupid
The opinions expressed in this article belong to the author and do not represent those of Townsquare Media, its affiliates or advertisers.
The governor's latest attempt to distract you would be laughable if it wasn't so embarrassing.
Governor Greg Abbott failed Texas during the winter storms (there are still places with no water). You can debate it, but I believe he also failed Texans during the COVID-19 pandemic. These back-to-back events showed that our current government has tried focusing on silly non-issues and not on the serious problems Texans face.
The governor's latest sleight-of-hand is getting behind a doomed-to-fail bill to prevent social media companies from de-platforming people or restricting free speech. What this is, is red meat for Abbott's base. It's an attempt to distract everyone from the massive failures that left Texans frozen and without clean water to drink. Anyone who can't see right through this needs a civics class, pronto.
Let's go through this with bullet points.
- It's been proven that Facebook does not censor conservative voices, which is what this is all about. There are any number of sources I could cite, but here's one for you here, and another here. Please leave this post right now and go to those sources if you have any doubts. This is, again, an attempt by a politician to solve a problem that does not exist in the real world.
- You signed disclaimers when you joined these platforms. You agreed to their terms.
- No one has a right to social media.
- You can get a free website and say pretty much whatever you want on it.
- Freedom of speech has never meant freedom from repercussions, including losing some of those freedoms.
- If this type of suit had ANY chance of being successful, the last presidential administration would have pursued it to the ends of the earth. Texas is just going to look like a bunch of jackasses all over again.
I'm not saying that we have to continue to punish our government over the recent failures, but damn, don't be so obvious when you're trying to blow smoke up our rears. Governor Greg Abbott thinks you are stupid. Don't prove it by buying into this nonsense.